School Bus Safety Features
First Student Canada would like all parents to know that your children are safe and in good hands each time they ride on a First Student Canada school bus. The safety of the children we transport is at the core of all we do.
Did you know that riding a bus to school is the safest way for children to get to and from school?
It’s safer than walking, riding a bike or even riding in the family car—13 times safer according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Every First Student Canada school bus is packed with safety features to protect our riders, with advanced features including:
- As the leader in school transportation safety, First Student was the first to install Safety Crossing Gates on the front of all buses to keep children from crossing directly in front of the bus so drivers can better see them.
- Another first — all First Student buses are equipped with an electronic reminder system, which aids drivers in checking for sleeping children at the end of each route.
- Flashing lights and extended stop arms warn motorists that children are boarding or unloading a bus.
- Every First Student bus is designed with well-anchored seats with high backs that are heavily padded to absorb impact and create a protective area.
- Smaller buses for preschool children and special needs students may utilize car seats or specialized restraint systems and can be staffed with an on-board attendant.
Safety is a core value at First Student. We pride ourselves on our safety record, dedicated personnel and overall performance. Safely transporting the children entrusted to us on our buses each day is a responsibility we take very seriously.